Friday, December 14, 2012

Foodie Fridays Are Here Again!

Happy Friday Bloggies!

Once again, we will put aside the foolishness of others(AKA the foolishness of myself) and talk about FOOD! YUM!

I'm not sure if you can tell by now that I have a slight obsession with food, but I do. I love food. I love food more than almost anything else. My bestie Kristin knows this, because at my Bridal Shower we played the game "How Well Do You Know the Bride?", and one of the questions was, "What is the bride's favorite food?" Well, Kristin knew the correct answer, which was, "Trick question. Shana loves all food." So, thank you to Kristin for understanding me. Also, thank you to Mallory for knowing that my favorite store is Publix. We spoke about this in my last post. I do not think it is weird in the slightest that my favorite store is one in which you can basically purchase nothing but food and things used to prepare food or things used to clean up from preparing food, etc.

Without further ado, your review and recipe for the week.

Restaurant: Mojo's Tacos
Anastasia Boulevard, Saint Augustine, Florida
What to get: Chicken Taco with a side of guacamole

I love me a good taco, and this place rocks at them. It's right there in the name. They are really special because all of their tacos are "double-decker" meaning they use a crunchy taco shell AND a soft flour taco shell on each taco, and use CHEESE to hold them together! I know, right??!! The result is this delicious crunchy, chewy, salty, creamy delectable yummyness that is a party in your mouth. And we have not even broached the subject of the fillings yet. The chicken taco is what I always get, and it is amazing because the chicken is not chunked and therefore harder to eat because it is falling out of the shell. No, they have thought of everything. It is shredded, and marinated in this spicy, zesty sauce. Then they put more cheese, mojo sauce(still trying to get the recipe for this, I believe it is some kind of chili sauce) and pico de gallo. O.M.G. Then, they dump tons of corn chips into a brown paper bag and throw the taco wrapped in foil on top and hand it to you. Like an amped up version of your 3rd grade sacked lunch. Get some homemade guacamole to go with it and you are in for a treat. Of course, they are more than just chicken tacos. They have burritos and salads also. And breakfast!! You can choose shrimp, beef, chicken, tofu, etc. It is important to note here that Mojo's is cash only. But if you forget, they have an ATM right inside. The restaurant is a real island favorite, with a surf theme interior, small tables and a bar top by the window to eat at, and a few select bottled beers for sale. Very casual, very yummy.


Recipe:
The Ultimate Guacamole
Serves 8 regular people, or 1 Shana

I make amazing guacamole, everyone says so. And really, it is so simple. I think people are sometimes afraid of making their own because there are so many options for mix-ins, and also because some people are not used to dealing with avocados. But they are super simple. The best way to tell if an avocado is ripe is that it will be a super dark green on the outside(they start out light green when they are fresh-picked), and it will give ever-so-slightly when it is squeezed GENTLY.

2 Hass Avocados
1/2 red onion diced
1 jalapeno diced
1/4 cup diced tomato
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp lime juice( I use fresh squeezed, but I won't judge if you use bottled)
salt and pepper

Split the avocados lengthwise, twist to open, and use a small spoon to remove the pit. While the flesh is still in the shell, use a small knife to cut diagonal cuts across, then again in the opposite direction. Do this for all 4 halves. Then, use a regular table spoon to scoop the flesh out of the shells and into a large mixing bowl.

Immediately mix in the lime juice with the avocado. Gently mix in the rest of the ingredients(onion, garlic, jalapeno, tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste) and use a fork to mash the guacamole until only some chunks remain. More lime juice can be added at this point to add acidity and also to keep the guacamole from browning.

Refrigerate for one hour, or if you simply cannot wait that long, serve straight away with tortilla chips and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy Mojo's and your new recipe for homemade guacamole.

Love,
Shana






No comments:

Post a Comment